5-19 Update

"Update", what a boring title for a blog post! Aren't all blog posts updates? Oh well...

The past week since the McDonald family left, has been a busy one. Although it hasn't been busy enough to have us five places at once, it has kept us moving from one thing to the next without much in between. Here's a quick overview of some of the "blog worthy" items.

_______________________________

First (and even before the McDonalds left) was a Scholarship Audition at Rock Valley College on Tuesday, May 9th. I missed the official registration deadline (I had the wrong dates) but when I did call Rock Valley College, they were still able to squeeze me in! So, on Monday the audition time was confirmed, and on Tuesday I got to perform. Fortunately I had a full 15-piece program already prepared for the National Piano-Playing Guild Auditions, so I didn't have any problem finding music for the Scholarship Audition. The audition went well, and the judges appeared to be pleased. The choir director was there, so he did some voice exercises with me to see if the choir would be something I could join as well as accompany on the piano for some pieces. The results have not been announced yet, so I'm not sure what the result will be.

_______________________________

On the evening of Saturday the 13th, Joanna, Joshua and I went to an Opera (La Bohéme) that I was given tickets to for my birthday. It was at the Coronado Theater in Rockford. I didn't know what going to an opera would be like, but I am pleased to say that it was great! The Coronado Theater was beautiful, and the music was gorgeous. I certainly hope to go again. Here are a few pictures of the theater.





The view from our seats. (Unobstructed during the performance).

_______________________________

On Monday the 15th, I finished up a small engine job that I was doing on a tractor. The tractor was a 1983 Cub Cadet 582 Special (by International Harvester). Being as old as it was, it was built like a tank, and was very cool. I enjoyed working on it, and I was also very glad that we could use it to mow most of our lawn before the owner picked it up. Here is a picture of Josiah riding it around the yard at Jeremy's house (we mowed his lawn with it also).


_______________________________

Yesterday, May 18th was the National Piano-Playing Guild Audition that I mentioned earlier. It was held at McHenry County College. This year's program was much bigger for me than normal (15 pieces) because I was going for the High School Diploma that the Guild offers if you complete this program. The piano wasn't anything incredible, but my performance for the judge went very well. There were a few glitches, but somehow you'd hardly guess it by looking at the judge's comments. Praise the Lord!

_______________________________

Last (actually first chronologically) but not least, was the 1st anniversary of the purchase of my beautiful Kawai Grand Piano on May 7th 2005. I praise the Lord for providing this excellent piano, within my price range, and at such a perfect time. I don't think I could have accomplished much of what I did this year, if I didn't have it. Here are a few pictures from when we picked it up.

On the way down.

We made it to the ground! Still in one piece.

In the truck at last!

Thanks again Jeremy, Joshua, Joseph and Luke VonHolten for the extreme amount of work that you all put into safely transporting the piano down the 3 1/2 stories into the truck, and then up the porch into our house.

6 comments:

The VHS said...

Thanks for the "UPDATE."
Man that last picture looks like I do not want to let the piano go, or something.
Joseph sure has grown since last year.
Lj

Jessica McDonald said...

I'm so jealous!:) I always wanted to go to an opera!! What Opera did y'all go see??

Unknown said...

We saw La Bohéme. The story isn't that great, but the music is beautiful! Definitely a neat experience.
I'd take it over a movie any day.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update and pics! When do you hear back about the scholarship? Oh, and ditto Luke's comment about Joseph growing! Wow!

Unknown said...

Jessica:

They didn't tell me for sure when I'd find out, but today I got a letter in the mail informing me that I won the top available scholarship! Now we just have to find out if we can get the in-district price which is about a quarter of what the out of district price is (we're about a quarter mile out of district). We'll let you know what happens!

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Jonathan! Glad to hear that you got it! Let us know how the district situation works out...